In each of 2015 and 2016 a single Apple Maggot adult was found in the Okanagan Valley of BC. Since then a lot of work has gone into control and trapping resulting in the area now being declared free of Apple Maggot, the only commercial apple growing area in North America that is free of this pest. Ongoing annual detection surveys continue to to confirm that this pest is absent from the Okanagan Apple Maggot Free Zone.
Since Apple Maggot is wide spread in South Coastal BC we all need to do every thing we can to prevent this insect getting into the Okanagan Apple Maggot Free Zone.
The links below lead to the FAO press release and related BC and Federal government web pages.
- FAO March 31, 2020 release
- North American Plant Protection Organization Update
- BC Ministry of Agriculture Apple Maggot Pest Alert
- BC Ministry of Agriculture Prevention and Management for Commercial Growers
- Codling Moth Sterile Insect Release page about Apple Maggot
- Government of Canada Apple Maggot Phytosanitary Requirements January 2020
- Government of Canada Apple Maggot Fact sheet